My last post concerned revamping my monthly report. The previous format I was using left a LOT to be desired. It was useful in quickly compiling data to submit to my principal. Period. Ever heard the saying that goes something like “You get out of it what you put into it”? Definitely applies here.
I put more into October’s report. Not just more data. More thought, more time, more effort. October’s report does more than present data; it analyzes data. When I finished the report (I can’t say “completed” the report because there is actually more that I wanted to add), I found that I was using it to analyze my collection’s cost effectiveness.
I finally met with my principal on Friday to share the report. I had been anxious to see his reaction to the new format and discuss how I was using it to inform my practice.
I was confident that the report was superior to any other monthly report I had created but wasn’t prepared to be overwhelmed by his response. After just a few minutes of discussion, he picked up the phone and asked our assistant principal in charge of curriculum to join us (this was a first). She found the graph illustrating each department’s usage of our facilities and resources informative and requested that I create a larger copy to be placed on our school’s Data Wall.
Then they discussed sharing this information with department heads this week and accompanied me to the library for a show and tell – identifying the Dewey sections each department would find useful.
All this because of one little monthly report. Ladies and gentlemen, it was worth the extra effort!
Just a side note: I remove pictures of students before I post reports online. The five photos this month put a “face” on my program – reminding the reader that it is all about students.